Friday, April 24, 2009

From Bagels to Shakshuka

Each Wednesday afternoon at our weekly CFI staff meeting, we have a speaker who comes to talk about an aspect of Israeli life. Just in our short time here, we have had some very interesting people speak including an orthodox rabbi but this week was very special as we had a soldier (a tank commander) who participated in Operation Cast Lead in Gaza. The room sat spell bound for an hour and a half while he relayed his experiences of being told the country was at war and that he was "going in." He seemed so young - only 21 - to be in charge of other soldiers but displayed such maturity and was obviously very dedicated to his men and what they were doing in protecting their country. He felt they were forced by world opinion (especially the US) to stop the mission and knows that he will have to return another time. He starts Officer Training for the next 8 months and will stay in the Defense Force although his mother wants him to become a doctor. He had a wonderful sense of humor and had us laughing followed by very serious moments when he described the Friendly Fire that killed several soldiers. Although military service is mandatory, it seems many if not most are proud to serve in what they consider the toughest defense force in the world. For your information, CFI has a ministry to the Israeli soldiers providing fleece jackets and bathrobes. The woman who runs the program has been doing it for 14 years and has a wonderful reputation with the soldiers and officers; they can't believe that Christians through out the world care about them and are providing these items as well as other care packages. It has made a major difference in their lives and the way they think about Christians.
Next Wednesday is Independence Day (61 years) and we are celebrating at
Anita wrapped in the Star of David
the Distribution Center by hanging flags and having Israeli food for lunch (that's where I come in.) When Ranil suggested we do the holiday food, I thought, Ok, how hard can it be to buy some bagels and cream cheese and I even know how to make kugel. Little did I know another learning curve was on the way. We really got into the festive mood and decided we should have Israeli food all four days we are working. I got suggestions from everyone (my first mistake) and spent time on the internet looking up recipes and came up with the menu for the week. Forget the bagels and kugel - we are going for shakshuka - I can barely say it but I'm going to cook it. It sounds just awful but I've been assured it tastes wonderful (?) One day we will have falafel with tahini sauce - I was told to buy ready made frozen falafel because the texture has to be just right or people can choke (?)(?) I'll do that as I certainly don't want to kill anyone. One recipe that really sounds good is chicken marinaded in date honey and grilled along with Mediterranean zucchini. Ranil is making shwarma using red turkey meat (?) served with various salads (piled in the pita bread.) I've already checked with the butcher who tells me he sells red turkey and will have it for me on Monday. (I have found a new butcher located next to my laundry who has become my new best friend - he speaks English very well and is so nice and helpful - unusual.) The only thing I'm actually sure about cooking next week is the cake for Tuesday. When we come home, anyone reading this blog is invited to come to the house for shakshuka and red turkey. Can you tell my life is about food these days.

1 comment:

  1. These young soldiers who are so loyal in protecting their country. How can so much of the world be against Israel defending themselves against the constant rocket attacks? The ministry of sending fleece jackets and bathrobes sounds very interesting to me. I would like more information about it, please. May never get to Israel but could help in this way.

    Carol, you will be coming home with so many new menus. How interesting. What makes the turkey red? Sounds weird. What an adventure you are having. The chicken marinated in date honey sounds great. Good luck finding the frozen falafel!

    I have been looking for a simple salad dressing recipe. Looked for one with 4 or less ingredients. No luck, yet. Hope you have gotten some from other family members.

    Thanks for sharing so much information with us.
    Doesn't seem possible that Israel has been an independent country to 61 years.

    Love, Saundra

    ReplyDelete