Monday, April 20, 2009

Paul, The Crusaders and Lebanon

Yesterday we had our first opportunity to venture outside of Jerusalem and took an all-day tour north along the Mediterranean. Our first stop was at Caesarea built by Herod in 22 BC and the seat of the Roman government in Palestine for over 500 years. Peter came to Caesarea and preached the Gospel in the home of Cornelius following his vision. (Acts 10)
Remains of a palace from Roman times
The U-shaped hippodrome for chariot racing
Ruins of the bathhouse
The port of Caesarea where Paul was sent off for Rome
Paul spent two years in prison in Caesarea. He made his defense before Felix, Festus, and King Herod Agrippa II before being sent off at his request to Rome (Acts 23-27)

The next stop was at the Crusader City of Acre (or Akko) - another amazing city with a well restored Subterranean Crusader City with a Knight's Hall, courtyard, dining hall and a Templar's tunnel which connected the port with a Crusader palace. Your imagination can really conjure up all sorts of fantasy in this place.
This is where the knights resided

The final stop with at Rosh Hanikra on the border with Lebanon
The grottos of Rosh Hanikra
The border gate with Lebanon (reminded us of North and South Korea)
Beirut was closer than Jerusalem

Note on today's shopping - I got all the receipts I needed this week and in good time as well. I did, however, end up by mistake in the express lane at the supermarket with a huge amount of food for check out while the people behind me had one or two items. I know what they were thinking as I've thought the same thing myself when I get behind "one of those people."

2 comments:

  1. Looks like royalty enjoyed "sea front living" back in the day! What a cool "field trip!" Thanks again for taking us along...

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are bringing the New Testament alive for me. To be walking where Paul had been in prison is amazing.

    I can just see the people looking at the "pushy" foreign woman in the Express check-out line! haha Guess it is best sometimes not to be able to read minds.

    Thanks for the info and pictures

    Love you, Saundra

    ReplyDelete