SHOPPING FOR PASSOVER AT MEHANE YEHUDA
A new kippa for the holiday
Buying fresh fruits and vegetables
This is the stall where I buy all the produce for the Distribution Center
Fish for sale
Various kinds of dates
More dates and sesame candy
Wednesday night started the celebration of Passover or Pesah and that means we are off work until Monday morning. For the Jewish people, the past weeks have been spent cleaning, cleaning and more cleaning of their homes - getting rid of every product with leaven and then a last minute search for possible bread crumbs. Of course this involves moving furniture and cleaning all the corners of every room - guess a little bit like spring cleaning. In addition to the frantic cleaning, the shopping and cooking for the holiday is very important as well. The shuk has been "like a zoo" every day this week. We wandered around there on Tuesday night just to be part of the action and the pictures are self explanatory. It was fun to see everyone so excited and wishing each other a Happy Passover. No bread, pasta, cookies allowed until next Thursday (4/15)thus we'll be eating matzoh. Some things I have learned this week: I must be settling into life in Jerusalem as I've grown accustomed to seeing the very young Israeli soldiers with their automatic weapons on guard; Israeli women do in fact have colors in their wardrobe, not just black; Passover brings out the most fantastic coconut macaroons; chocolate covered matzoh is really good; and I don't miss CNN or Fox News.
Thanks for the pictures of the market! Fascinating. I also love your new "learnings" as they come along. You are learning things they just can't convey in a book.
ReplyDeleteMy mouth is watering for some coconut macaroons...