They were in Sderot (the city that is only 2 K from Gaza) this week to continue their work in upgrading a kitchen for a family and next week they return there to start work on the bathroom. It is a 1 1/2 hour drive from Jerusalem so it makes for a long day for them. I am very excited about the upcoming week as I will have an opportunity to go on an outreach on Wednesday with Forsake Them Not, which is the holocaust team, then on Thursday I will go to Sderot with Cary Jarrett of Communities Under Attack. This is the first chance I've had to get out into the communities and I am so pleased to have the opportunity. This weekend we are planning to go to Bethany near the Mt. of Olives to visit the tomb of Lazarus and church over the house of Mary, Martha and Lazarus. Sunday there are English tours at the Knessett so we are hoping to be able to get in on one of them as well as a visit to Ammunition Hill, a battle site from the 1967 Six Day War. We are trying to pack it all in as time is ticking away!
Friday, May 8, 2009
Miscellaneous pictures from the week
We seem to have a continuing fascination with the shuk especially on Fridays when there are so many shoppers there buying for Shabbat. We both worked at the Distribution Center today - Larry is repairing some of the walls in the Gates of Hope area - so when we got off work, we decided to mingle with the crowds before going home.
It is always this crowded on Friday as people are doing their last minute shopping for Shabbat - it's really fun to go watch as long as you aren't the one having to shop.
A young Haredi Jew
Some entertainment for the masses
Challah bread for dinner tonight
Fresh flowers are always sold on Fridays
The bus line-up on Jaffa Road outside the shuk and our apartment. A light rail system is being constructed along side.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Love the pictures. In the bottom left corner of the first picture, it looks like the man is carrying soda bottles on his back. Is he selling them?
ReplyDeleteWhen you make the second picture bigger it seems like the man is looking right at you while you are photographing him!
"As long as you aren't the one having to shop" ~ I feel the same way about watching people on Christmas Eve! I love the pictures of the shuk, real life as it happens...
ReplyDelete