Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Over the Hill to Gaza

Today I traveled with the maintenance team - Larry and Vern - to the town of Sderot next to Gaza. They went to finish work in a kitchen of a CFI client and I went to visit with the women of the family all of whom speak Russian as a first language. Although conversation was impossible, we were able to communicate through signs and gestures but mostly we just watched soaps on Russian television. When something exciting would happen on the show, they would try to explain what was happening to the characters. It was fun. Katia gave me a fancy purple scarf and a fan as a thank you for all the work Larry and Vern had done (nice for me.) For refreshments she prepared a plate of Romaine lettuce leaves to nibble on, some unusual fruit, and a piece of corn on the cob for each of us. It was impossible to say no to her hospitality as she had such a desire to show her appreciation for their help.
On our way out of town, we stopped at a pull-off overlooking Gaza City only about 2 miles away. We couldn't see any damage from the latest conflict and the taller buildings are all still standing. IDF soldiers are still in the vicinity but we saw none today as Larry had in the past; the last time they were detonating a unexploded kassam missile in the field. I don't remember the media showing how carefully Israel targeted their strikes but just reported what they saw as the injustice of defending themselves.
Gaza City from a distance
Larry installing new kitchen cabinets
Katia, her mom, and Juliette her sister




1 comment:

  1. I wish I could have been a fly on the wall watching you watch Russian soaps...
    Glad that despite the language barrier you were able to communicate.

    ReplyDelete